Давайте потренируемся раскрывать скобки и определять нужное прошедшее время Past Pefect Tense и Past Indefinite Tense в сложных предложениях с коррелятивными парами наречий ( hardly… when; scarcely … when; no sooner … than), которые зачастую имеют обратный порядок слов. Напишите два варианта предложений- с прямым и обратным порядком слов.
1. He scarcely (to finish ) his work when somebody ( to knock) at the door.
2. I hardly ( to be) there five minutes when Mary ( to come) with the coffee.
3. Five o’clock hardly (to strike) on the morning of the nineteenth of January when Anna ( to bring) a candle into my little room and ( to find) me already up and nearly dressed.
4. They scarcely (to move) into the new house when their friends ( to come) in.
5. She hardly (to slip) the letter into her pocket when her husband ( to enter) the room.
6. I no sooner ( to close) my eyes when the telephone ( to ring).
7. I scarcely ( to read) more than the first three chapters when I ( to hear) a conversation going on in the next room.
8. I hardly (to arrive) when I ( to have) a new problem to cope with.
9. I no sooner ( to discover) that the wolves could only run on the ice in a straight line, than I ( to decide) to turn aside whenever they came too near.
10. The wolves hardly ( to hear) the barking of my dogs , when they ( to stop) and after a few minutes ( to turn) and (to flee).